DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
3,097 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I installed a catch can at just less than 20k miles and before my trip towing the boat from Pittsburgh, PA to Key Largo, Fl. Mostly 70 mph+

I am a few hundred over 23k miles now and WOW.

Just pulled the can to check it out of curiosity. The can was 1/2 full of oil!

I figured there might be a little, but was shocked by the volume, so either I have a good bit of blowby or the load really increases it.

Will be curious how much accumulates on a non-towing highway trip.

·
Registered
207 Posts
What does a catch can do? I've seen it mentioned a bunch, but I don't really understand what it does. Do I need one?

·
Registered
3,097 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
What it does, is catch oil that normally goes through the PCV valve into the intake manifold. So you have a lot less oil going into the intake manifold and being "burned" during engine operation. That oil can also deposit and bake onto the back of the intake valves over time.

Normally this oil is in a mist form as it is vapors from the crankcase being sucked into the intake manifold via the PCV system.
The can condenses those vapors, so a good portion of the oil part of the vapors remains in the can to be dumped vs. going into the engine to hopefully be burned.

Does this make sense to you?

If you are going to keep your truck for years, I would say getting one might be nice.
It isn't a must, but over time I can't see how it can't be a plus.

·
Registered
115 Posts
I installed a catch can at just less than 20k miles and before my trip towing the boat from Pittsburgh, PA to Key Largo, Fl. Mostly 70 mph+

I am a few hundred over 23k miles now and WOW.

Just pulled the can to check it out of curiosity. The can was 1/2 full of oil!

I figured there might be a little, but was shocked by the volume, so either I have a good bit of blowby or the load really increases it.

Will be curious how much accumulates on a non-towing highway trip.
It will certainly be interesting to see what differences you see under "normal" conditions/non-load.

Definitely on my list to install soon...

·
Registered
2018 1500 Sport
168 Posts
Half full on seems like a lot to me, as well. I dump mine every time I change the oil in my HC. Usually bout a 1/4 inch in the bottom.

·
Premium Member
32,783 Posts
You have to decide if you want the inside of your Intake Manifold to get carboned up or stay cleaner

I had a Catch Can on my 5.7L HEMI & i emptied it out about every 5,000 miles

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6mR37dFua_Y

it looks like a lot more oil than there actually is
The point is that the intake manifold does not work any better with oil coating it
In fact oil disturbs the air flow differently than it should & then it goes out the exhaust valves & right into the Catalytic Convertor
Oil in the Catalytic Convertor cuts down on the life span of the Catalytic Convertors

·
Super Moderator
34,750 Posts
I only have to empty out the CC on my Pentastar Durango every oil change (6000 miles), and it will mainly only be 1/3-1/2 full. In the Winter it does catch the milk from condensation in the oil.

The Hemi needs to be emptied every few thousand, I usually empty it 2 or 3 times between oil changes. IDK if it has more crankcase pressure or what; it also gets hot faster due to the thermal management system so it does not get milk in the oil in Winter time

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
I did not realize that they made a catch can for the Pentastar.

·
Registered
2014 345ci 8hp70 44-44 3.92 Truetrac NX Express Comp Greene Racing
1,642 Posts
Let's hope this doesn't turn into a "but why didn't the genius engineers put one on from the factory?" thread.

Because people are lazy...

·
Registered
259 Posts
^^ and emissions...the Catch Can is the only way to go IMO. Have almost 4k miles and the CC has stopped over 6 ounces of oil from going into the intake manifold. In no way is a layer of oil coating the inside good for air flow! So glad I learned this on my 08' WK1 5.7L (put one on after 10k miles when I noticed the back of the Throttle body was caked in oil)

Attachments

·
Premium Member
32,783 Posts
If you think the Intake Manifold gets coated with oil that turns into sludge
Just think about what happens to the top of the pistons, the intake & exhaust valves & then the Catalytic Covertors

Oil should never be in Combustion Chamber, it should only be below the pistons in the Crankcase, where the moving parts are located

·
Super Moderator
34,750 Posts
I did not realize that they made a catch can for the Pentastar.
A catch can is a catch can, the only difference is the mounting bracket for a specific vehicle. I initially had a UPR can on the Durango, but was dissatisfied enough with the design and machining that I just ordered a Billet Tech for it. BT doesn't list one for the 3.6L Durango but the one for the 5.7 mounts to the same bracket so it works with either

·
Registered
207 Posts
Would it be worth it to put it on a truck that has 55k on the clock? Is the damage done already?

Not necessarily asking for me, but in general.

·
Super Moderator
34,750 Posts
I put mine one right at 30,000. Its certainly not going to harm it

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
A catch can is a catch can, the only difference is the mounting bracket for a specific vehicle. I initially had a UPR can on the Durango, but was dissatisfied enough with the design and machining that I just ordered a Billet Tech for it. BT doesn't list one for the 3.6L Durango but the one for the 5.7 mounts to the same bracket so it works with either
Ok, good to know! Thanks.

·
Registered
3,097 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Would it be worth it to put it on a truck that has 55k on the clock? Is the damage done already?

Not necessarily asking for me, but in general.

The gunk can always be cleaned out and then it would limit new gunk buildup.

There are a few ways to clean the pistons/valves/etc. with additives or even water. GM and I think Mopar make an excellent top engine cleaner just for this purpose, but a water mist can clean the pistons and valves IF you know what you are doing.

·
Registered
'18 RAM 3500 4WD Tradesman 6.4
1,223 Posts
I have been looking into this catch can issue with an eye on possibly installing one in our 3500 6.4.

I have been reading elsewhere (hyperlinks to other discussion boards are not allowed, so I can't link to it) that the RAM truck version of the 6.4 has an internal and revised PCV system which differs from the 6.4 setup in other FCA vehicles in that it;
a) either negates or reduces (depending on who you listen to) the need for a catch can by not venting crankcase vapors directly into the intake manifold, and
b) makes the installation of an external catch can, even if you decide to do it, more involved by requiring a more complex "plumbing" connection.

I cannot find a catch can listing for the RAM truck application of the 6.4 on Billet Technologies website, only one for the 5.7 in the 1500.

It could be that I'm missing something obvious, but has anyone here installed a catch can on a generation 4 RAM HD truck with a 6.4, and if so what product was it, and would they be willing to comment on the installation procedure?

·
Super Moderator
34,750 Posts
I have been looking into this catch can issue with an eye on possibly installing one in our 3500 6.4.

I have been reading elsewhere (hyperlinks to other discussion boards are not allowed, so I can't link to it) that the RAM truck version of the 6.4 has an internal and revised PCV system which differs from the 6.4 setup in other FCA vehicles in that it;
a) either negates or reduces (depending on who you listen to) the need for a catch can by not venting crankcase vapors directly into the intake manifold, and
b) makes the installation of an external catch can, even if you decide to do it, more involved by requiring a more complex "plumbing" connection.

I cannot find a catch can listing for the RAM truck application of the 6.4 on Billet Technologies website, only one for the 5.7 in the 1500.

It could be that I'm missing something obvious, but has anyone here installed a catch can on a generation 4 RAM HD truck with a 6.4, and if so what product was it, and would they be willing to comment on the installation procedure?
The 6.4 truck Hemi and the 6.4 Apache Hemi in the SRT cars are not the same engine. Its not a difference in application, all they really share is displacement and engine family

1 - 20 of 60 Posts