DODGE RAM FORUM banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I joined this forum recently and after visiting the website several times I am questioning my decision. I recently retired and wish to travel (hauling my travel trailer) . I needed a new truck, mine was 13 years old . I bought a 2011 RAM because of the price not because of some abstract reason or product loyalty. I use my truck as a truck hauling stuff. I find no pride in owning a mass produced product that anyone who has the money can buy . I see page after page on this website of people bad mouthing Ford or Chevy for totally childish and anal reasons. I don't care which truck is faster I do NOT race I drive the speed limit. I am interested in keeping my truck running in a good and safe condition not in making modifications to a well engineered vehicle. Where can I go to find the information on maintaining recalls or operating my vehicle
I have no desire to reinvent the wheel my stock wheel is fine with me I have no intentions to stick thousands more in A $36,000.00 vehicle

Steve Dunham

·
Registered
12,860 Posts
Steve, you did find the right place for great information on the care and maintenance of your new Ram. We have several certified Chrysler techs and service writers as members here that are a valuable wealth of information.

A lot of our members are just very passionate about their Ram trucks and like to personalize their vehicles and make them as individual as they are.

Please give us all a chance to show you we have the knowledge you require. We have some very very talented people here.

·
Registered
22,788 Posts
Hi Steve,
I completely agree with Stump3r. Being a 'Ram' forum, you will encounter posts that show incredible bias toward the Dodge branded product, which is normal and should be expected. You will find similar bias on any forum about any brand.

Times have changed a lot, and more trucks are sold as daily drivers that pretty much never see real truck work then those sold to people like us that bought a truck to do 'truck work'. having said that, I'm one that likes the fact that I can have both worlds in one package, so my work truck is also my DD, and I have done numerous mods to make it my own, as well as mods to beef it up to better handle the work I depend on it to do.

We try very hard to keep this forum 'arranged' so there are sections that will meet the needs of just about anyone. However, it is a huge job to keep things sorted out, and sometimes a thread about a maintenance item will end up with posts about performance in it, but we try to keep it the section that best fits the intention of the original poster.

Sometimes it takes a bit of reading through the stuff that you don't care about, but in the end that wealth of knowledge and experience from our over 30,000 members presents answers to just about anything Ram.

After a while, it is easier to find the information that fits your needs/wants, and if you have trouble finding exactly what your looking for, just ask and we will do our best to guide you to it. :)

·
Registered
565 Posts
Welcome Steve! As others have said, modifications are done to trucks to make them as unique as the owner, and to improve upon Dodges "one size fits all" design to make a certain feature better fit the owner. This is a great site to be part of to learn about your truck regardless of preferences about modifying it.
Here are a couple sections of the forum to help you get started in what you are looking for:
Detailing and General Maintenance
Recalls and TSBs
2011 Forum

Hope you find what you are looking for here, and please dont be put off by people who mod their trucks, they can be some of your best resources. A lot of times they know a great deal about the inner workings of our trucks due to the mods that they do, and can often pinpoint a specific problem for you or at least get you on the right path.

·
Registered
386 Posts
Hi Steve, happy retirement! I'm sure enjoying mine.

You will probably find some useful information here on your Ram that you are using as a tow vehicle. You will however, need to separate the wheat from a lot of chafe.

A better site for your needs can probably be found on a camping type forum.

Just service your truck as in the Owners Manual and your Dodge will give you many miles of good service and enjoyment.

·
Banned
7,846 Posts
Mr. Dunham:

I have read your post, and the responses thus far. I sincerely feel that your satisfaction or dis-satisfaction is entirely your prerogative.

However, if I were to offer my opinion it would be completely from the other side of the fence.

I DON'T have 36,000.00 to spend on a truck or anything else for that matter. I get out of bed and go to work every day. I pay my bills and work hard for everything I have.

For those of us that only have $ 400.00 and spend it on a vehicle destined for the crusher, this forum has offered me a wealth of knowledge on how to make it roadworthy and something you don't sit in four miles of traffic behind on the freeway.

I could care less about reinventing the wheel, but I sure as hell would like to know which one will fit out of the pile I have to dig through and hope it only cost me $20.00.

I don't have the luxury of stopping by the dealership to see if they will warranty a 17 year old vehicle that has 196K on the odometer. When I have to flip the skin back into the gash on my knuckles to stop it from bleeding, I want to be damn sure I didn't split it open for nothing and that I am fixing the problem or doing preventive maintenance. I really hate walking to work or calling a friend for a ride because I don't have the gratuity of a service vehicle or courtesy car.

I personally take pride in the work I've done to the vehicle I drive that was mas produced...quite some time ago and destined to be revived as a refrigerator, some other appliance, or a fender on a 2011 Dodge, Chevy, Ford, or some other recycled metal.

I really don't care how fast my truck is, just so long as it gets me to where I'm going safely. I CHOSE to become a member, and I CHOSE to use this forum for assistance. No one forced me to use it and it has helped me greatly.

If I had a Chevy maybe I would have joined a site specific to them.

If I had a Ford maybe I would have joined a site specific to them.

If I were a retiree that whined and was narrow minded, I'd probably join that site.

My opinion is not necessarily the opinion of other members nor the administration of this form and should be in no way considered such.

Oh, by the way...welcome to the forum.

·
Administrator
2008 RAM 1500 ST 3.7L Magnum V6 PS2
54,364 Posts
Steve, welcome to the forum!

A lot of good points have been made here. Sure, there can be some trash talking other brands from time to time, but from what I've seen in my 3 years on this forum is some good natured ribbing but nothing mean spirited or hateful, there are plenty of other forums out there that are full of that nonsense. We like to feel we have more class as a group than those other sites, which is one of the things that brings people here and keeps them here. You will find a lot of folks on this forum who own other vehicles in addition to their RAM. However, it's the passion we all share for our RAM trucks that brings us together.

My truck is bone stock and I like it that way, so to that extent, I see your point, I bought the truck I needed and got everything I wanted, period. The guys/gals who mod their trucks don't hate on me because I haven't modded the heck out of my truck nor do I give them crap because they do. One of the good things about this still being a free country, at least for the time being lol is that it's to each their own and their own truck.

This forum is full of helpful and knowledgeable people who are willing to take the time to answer the same question, even if it's been asked a million times before, because that's what it's about. We also enjoy a good laugh, though not at another members' expense lol, but the sharing of experiences, knowledge and friendship is what makes this forum great and if, at any time, you need help finding something, all you have to do is post up and I can pretty much guarantee, it won't be long before you'll have several answers all trying to point you to what you're looking for, without telling you "just go use the search function."

So not only are the members here very willing and able to help, the staff here works very hard also, everything from welcoming the new folks aboard and helping them learn the ropes to keeping things organized and the atmosphere clean and friendly and I personally hope you stick around and really give us and this site a chance and we will do everything we can to help make your stay enjoyable and worth the time you spend here! :)

BTW, enjoy your retirement, you worked hard for it! I'm hoping to get there someday!

- Cajun

·
Registered
3,466 Posts
welcome to the forum Steve. I agree with everyone else (well most everyone else)

I hope you'll stick around, and discover just how great the Z can be

Exco

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Retired

Why bash a guy for being retired?
Maybe he spent 35 yrs working as hard or harder than you to get there.
Actually I spent 45 years working 42 years as an electrician, 30 years as a teamster on a freight dock and this is my 33rd year teaching night classes at the local tech college. I worked an average of 70 hrs per wk for 30 years 6 and 7 days a week while raising 5 kids . This is my first new truck ( I drove beat up company trucks for 37 years) and I feel no shame because I bought my truck with cash. I want my truck to last cause my wife of 42 years says I NOT getting another one ! I've out grown the need for shiny hubcaps ,I want my truck to get me from point A to point B and back. without worrying about breakdowns

Thanks The Whiner

·
Banned
7,846 Posts
Why bash a guy for being retired?
Maybe he spent 35 yrs working as hard or harder than you to get there.
With all due respect. ^If that was an insinuation directed towards me personally^ I would like to clarify:

I merely suggested what I would do and in no way bashed anyone for being a retiree. I referenced my experience and my satisfaction with this site. I have the utmost respect for anyone that shows dedication and loyalty in completing a lifelong commitment.

My intent was to reflect my dedication and welcome another loyal member. Where ever that loyalty may LIE. Weather it be to a brand, their job, or their family. Some loyalty is earned, and some loyalty comes naturally.

I apologize for any unintended confusion for stating what I would do. There are a vast amount of members on this forum from different situations and different walks of life. Each and every member has his own opinion and reasons for joining the forum. Each and every member has the opportunity to both seek and offer advise, and their experience. I presented my side of the coin.

Again. Welcome to the forum.

·
Premium Member
15,440 Posts
Well I will put my voice behind what Stump3r, Brad12kx and CajunDodge have already stated (and anyone else I missed). I spend alot of time on this Forum and have not experienced genuion model bashing. If it does happen it is dealt with swiftly as the site administrators and moderators have zero tolerance for it. As far as general maintenance goes there is a wealth of information on this forum. Here is just one example http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=76339

I truly hope you will stick around and give us all another chance. :smileup:

·
Registered
65 Posts
Steve,

Welcome to forum.

I have owned a bunch of domestic and import vehicles ( cars and trucks), to include an airplane or two.

With regards to the vehicle you own, all are making a better product today, and with mine being the first ram owned, I hope you enjoy yours as much as much as I enjoy mine. I recent purchase caused me to join the differant Ram Forums, for the maintenance aspect, and to see what others are doing to enhance creature comforts. I really don't care about the "performance" enhancements of forums mainly because they do little to enhance performance. If we are doing these plus cams, intake changes, items that really enhance performance, then these articles get my attention.

Seperate the wheat fom the chaff, and you will find a lot of pertinate information here and on the other forums.

Congratulations on your retirement, mine came a few years earlier then planed and hope your Ram offers you many years of pleasure.

·
Registered
698 Posts
Steve, from the description of your work career and all, you sound like an old guy. I'm an old guy too...just don't always act like one. This is the internet. It's full of people with all manner of input, opinions, and perspectives. Just about every site and forum of every type of activity I've ever been on is the same way. There is wheat, and there is chaff. And the funny thing is that one man's chaff may be another man's wheat...and vice versa. These forums are almost information overload, but the bottom line is that they are information...often outstanding information. You just have to sift through a bit of it to find what suits your needs. This site has a ton of forum breakouts with all manner of categories. If you stay with it a little longer and cruise some of them, I'll bet you'll find one or more that really suit what you're looking for. But if you're looking for any place with information that finitely and narrowly fits just what you're looking for, you may never find that on any internet site.

The nice thing about sifting through some issues that don't necessarily fit exactly what you're looking for at any given moment, you may find some hidden gems and even new, previously unknown information that might actually be of use. But...I'll also bet that internet sites aren't for everyone.

·
Registered
243 Posts
I'll toss in my .04 (used to be .02 but you know, it's a recession and all...). First, welcome aboard. I'm new here myself but have been part of internet communities since the days of BBS. What you have found here is a large group of people with a common PASSION for something and they express themselves as such. With this passion comes a wealth of knowledge and experience you just won't find in a Haynes or Chilton manual. I think in the back of your mind you realize that, else you would have just 'bought the book.' Some here are tinkerers. Some are artists. Some just want to get the most bang for their buck. Just like the guy who spends his weekends adding on to his house, landscaping his lawn, outfitting his camper to suit his needs, redesigning a kitchen...you see where this is going? For a large chunk of us, our trucks are not just basic transportation, they are a hobby, a tool, a release after a long crappy day at work. Gearheads (or Petrolheads if you watch too much BBC) take pride in what they do and have. For me, a well-executed, modified vehicle is not just a way to get from point A to point B, it's a piece of art.

I work 70+ hours a week right here in front of a computer as a DBA\Net Admin. When I want to unwind, I want to touch something that isn't a keyboard and a mouse. For me, this means something mechanical such as my truck or my motorcycle. When I figure out something that isn't in a book, or maybe just a different way of doing things, I like to share it. I also know there is MUCH I don't know, which is why I'm thankful for those who know more than I do that they share THEIR experience. The beauty of a place like this is...if you don't like what you are looking at, click another link. Slamming your truck on 21s or putting in a 3" lift probably aren't things you are going to do...but maybe upgrading your headlights, installing a power inverter, upgrading your brakes just might be up your alley. Or just what is the best oil to use, how often should you service your transmission, what is the best cap or bed cover, etc would be helpful.

I guess what I'm trying to say is just because you don't share our passion, doesn't mean you can't get a wealth of information from here. YOU are in control of what you read.

And please, enjoy your retirement, you definitely have earned it. I hope you and the wife enjoy your adventures:)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts