DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Finally got the old cam pulled out last night, was showing some wear on the lobes so im glad i pulled it but upon measuring lobes they are exactly the same as the 6.4 cam #5045517ac used in the 2500's. Pretty disappointed. Different #'s stamped in back side also the ID grooves are differnent at the back bearing. Makes no sense to me as i found that the 5.7 eagle vvt specs call for lobe lifts at around .498? Duration might be different, i could not tell? I guess it is a good find if same or better the the stock 2009-2018 camshaft as it is way cheaper. I am hopeing to have truck up and running friday night.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Cam and head swap done. Had a timing issue, p0016 check engine light. Had to take it back down to the camshaft. The crankshaft was passed tdc on #1 when the camshaft mark was at 12:00. When i installed 1st time i guess the timing chain was not seated right on the crank gear, causing the tensioner not to fully expand after install?
Anyway all done now, still have mds function , idles the same(not super smooth or quite). Revs really nice and smooth and fast now, between 2500-4500 rpms. Not sure if the cam had some different specs then oem, or if the minor head work made that much difference. Not to sure yet but i think im going to gain about a 1-2mpg. Happy right now with it. Reccomend some head work and a cam swap if your going to keep your truck for the next couple years.:smileup:

·
Happy Ram - No more GM
2017 Silverado 1500 QC 4x4.
996 Posts
Finally got the old cam pulled out last night, was showing some wear on the lobes so im glad i pulled it but upon measuring lobes they are exactly the same as the 6.4 cam #5045517ac used in the 2500's. Pretty disappointed. Different #'s stamped in back side also the ID grooves are differnent at the back bearing. Makes no sense to me as i found that the 5.7 eagle vvt specs call for lobe lifts at around .498? Duration might be different, i could not tell? I guess it is a good find if same or better the the stock 2009-2018 camshaft as it is way cheaper. I am hopeing to have truck up and running friday night.
The 1500 5.7 & The HD 6.4 both use MDS, but the HD 5.7 does not.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
After about 2 weeks of driving im even more happy with the cam and head swap. Very happy with the smooth revs and accel from a stop, gets the heavy truck up to speed easier. Tires do chrip more then they ever have before. Mpg's are not any better so far, might be if i could keep my foot out of it, lol.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
That is why the same cam.....
Different part #s on each cam, also different applications. I was hoping that there would be some slightly more lift to the 6.4 cam(5045517ac), but i am convinced now that there is some slight differences with duration and lsa, as my engine now sounds meaner while accel and at cold idle.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts