DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Some Assembly Required
7,205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, wife emails me this morning (I am in afghanistan), she said the Ram stalled when she started it at 815 this morning. It stalled out, she restarted it. It stalled out again, she got the DSP out and put it back to stock...then she started it again, it stalled a 3rd time. When she started it the 4th time, it stayed running.

This has been the ONLY issue I have had with this truck and it has been happening for 30,000 miles now. It wasnt the DSP, because it did it before we had the tuner. She put it back to stock to take it to the dealer. They charged her the $65 diagnostic fee and came up empty. No codes, no CEL, and no, of course they could not get the problem to recur.

WTF, over...any ideas? My first thought is Fan clutch, next is AC clutch, then possibly a fuel pump, they are the only things I can think of that would cause it to stall and not throw a code...well the fuel pump might, depends on the pump.

·
Some Assembly Required
7,205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It sure sounds like the fuel pump starting to go but not for 30k miles.
It did it from about a month after I bought it with 42k on the clock, till now, with 63k. So its more like 20k miles, but still.

It doesnt drive funny, idle funny, run funny, it just stalls, mostly on initial startup, but I have had it die on me as I am coming to a stop before...

It always starts right back up too, until this morning apparently.

·
Registered
3,666 Posts
that's bs they charged 65 for nothing. Hopefully u get it all sorted out soon!

·
Registered
30 Posts
Hey there AofO, keep your head down over there, just got back a few months ago, closed out the combat mission for Canada actually. Good luck to you! And for your truck, I have seen 2 4.7 Rams have gonzo issues with stalling and minor driveability issues, the two trucks did not have any error codes, one had an ignition problem that was sporadic (coil circuit ground?) and the other truck had an EGR problem that only affected idle operation, once it got moving under throttle it was fine. I will check around to see if I can shed a little more light, play safe !

·
Some Assembly Required
7,205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks man, I will...Good lookin out!

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
At 30k miles you are still under warranty unless you bought it prior to this date 3yrs ago. None the less they should give you a break for serving our country durring your 3 yrs of ownership. My 09 warranty ends May 11 unless I get to 36k first. But I'm not ten thousand miles away fighting a war protecting the very same people charging your wife look at ur truck! Active service members should be allowed a 36/5yr wrranty instead of a 36/3yr...that bothers me to no end! EDIT: just noticed your milage...doesn't matter, they shouldn't have charged your wife anything...pricks! Thanks for serving and stay safe!

·
Some Assembly Required
7,205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
At 30k miles you are still under warranty unless you bought it prior to this date 3yrs ago. None the less they should give you a break for serving our country durring your 3 yrs of ownership. My 09 warranty ends May 11 unless I get to 36k first. But I'm not ten thousand miles away fighting a war protecting the very same people charging your wife look at ur truck! Active service members should be allowed a 36/5yr wrranty instead of a 36/3yr...that bothers me to no end! EDIT: just noticed your milage...doesn't matter, they shouldn't have charged your wife anything...pricks! Thanks for serving and stay safe!
I have the lifetime powertrain warranty, but they said:

"Until we have a diagnosis, the diagnostic fee is not able to be covered by your warranty. Once we have a diagnosis, if the problem is covered, then the cost of the diagnostics are absorbed into your claim"

What a crock of shit.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Whats the trick to get them to honor the lifetime power train warranty. In the terms and conditions, its only good for the first owner, and is not transferable, or did they change that?

·
Registered
3,373 Posts
I have no idea whats going with your truck but there were a few complaints of trucks stalling out when stopping or just stalling out in general back in 2005. The fixes that they came up with that solves their problems were:

There was a crack or leak in one of the two transmission filters, not sure how that causes stalls.

Another was the throttle position sensor.

This is coming from car complaints.com from people who own 2005 4.7 dodge ram 1500's.

·
Some Assembly Required
7,205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Whats the trick to get them to honor the lifetime power train warranty. In the terms and conditions, its only good for the first owner, and is not transferable, or did they change that?
I have no idea whats going with your truck but there were a few complaints of trucks stalling out when stopping or just stalling out in general back in 2005. The fixes that they came up with that solves their problems were:

There was a crack or leak in one of the two transmission filters, not sure how that causes stalls.

Another was the throttle position sensor.

This is coming from car complaints.com from people who own 2005 4.7 dodge ram 1500's.
Yeha but 05's and 09's are completely different electrical wise. The engines are kinda close, trannies are almost the same too, but idk. THe transmission filter can crack or leak, causing loss of pressure in the trans and lockup, which would stall out your truck.

TPS would throw a code.

·
Some Assembly Required
7,205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
No its not transferable. I had a special circumstance, I am the first actual owner of the truck. It was used at the dealer that took delivery of it, driven on a dealer plate with their advertising vinyls on it. I bought it with 43,000 miles and got all the new warranties, and paid half the price. Original sticker was $42 something, I paid $21,000.

·
Some Assembly Required
7,205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I just thought of something today while I was changing a fuel filter on an RG-31 at work...

A dirty fuel filter could be my problem...Now where is it on my truck?

·
Some Assembly Required
7,205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
HAH, my wife is smart.

She pulled out the OBDII code scanner and hooked it up yesterday, nothing.

She took it to the Car Care Center on base, they ran a diagnostic (for free)...nothing.

Then, she called my dad. My dad called a friend of his with a shop in Tacoma. She took the truck down there. He hooked it up to his computer, ran a test on the Fuel pump and Fuel pressure Regulator. The fuel pump is priming intermittently.

She will be taking her findings to Puyallup Chrysler instead of Tacoma Dodge (the initial dealership) in the morning to get it covered under warranty. She called Puyallup and they said bring in the truck ASAP, the paperwork from the independent tech with all the readouts and they will give her a 2012 Ram Sport 4x4 to drive while they fix it. The tank has to come down, and they are going to clean the entire fuel system for good measure, all for free. CLEARLY, Tacoma Dodge did not look at it, and they just lost a customer, forever.

·
Registered
13,690 Posts
^I responded to your other post, but just wanted to add that it is very strange for the fuel pump to act up when cold. All the problems I had with GM fuel pumps were ALWAYS when they were hot. The car would run then once hot would stumble and/or stall. If you waited 15 minutes it would start and get you about 5 more miles. I drove our malibu from orlando to melbourne 5 miles at a time once lol.

·
Some Assembly Required
7,205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
^I responded to your other post, but just wanted to add that it is very strange for the fuel pump to act up when cold. All the problems I had with GM fuel pumps were ALWAYS when they were hot. The car would run then once hot would stumble and/or stall. If you waited 15 minutes it would start and get you about 5 more miles. I drove our malibu from orlando to melbourne 5 miles at a time once lol.
While unusual, electronic fuel pumps (EFI systems) have to prime themselves. That buzzing you heard on your GM trucks rear ends (THEY ALL DID IT IN THE 90's :LOL: ), was the fuel pump. In the first few seconds, the pump is pushing extra volume to help keep the engine running and stabilize the idle.

Mine is not doing that...intermittently. Every once in awhile, the pump either doesnt turn on, or turns on but doesnt prime. Therefore, engine starts and dies almost immediately.

·
Registered
13,690 Posts
That's strange.

Yeah I could always tell when my fuel pumps were about to go bad because the fuel gauge would stop working or become erratic, then over about a month period it would get louder and louder to the point I could hear it driving down the road over the radio LOL. Then one day I'm limping home 5 miles at a time haha.

I grabbed the habit of priming the pump before starting the car (do it in every car now), it seemed to extend the pump's life, now it's just habit.

·
Some Assembly Required
7,205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I do this too, and I agree it is strange....

Well lets see if its fixed....wife went and got it at 630pm (after hours pickup! NICE!) Tech stayed late to finish it. They verified the indie tech's findings, replaced the fuel pump, cleaned the filter (I guess it is a screen type deal), vaccumed out the tank (said there was some crap in the bottom), put it all back together, reflashed my ECU (had not had the update apparently, and then performed a fuel injection service. My total cost? $85 for the Fuel Injection Service and $15 for the filter/tank cleaning. So $100 out the door, and my truck doesn't stall anymore...I hope.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts