DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I can get this brand new under 20k for my razor.
do you think my truck will be ok?? I guess my main concern is the Tongue weight.
Truck specs 5' 7" bed 3.92 gears laramie

5.7L V8 HEMI MDS VVT ENGINE 8-SPD AUTO 8HP75 TRANS(BUY-US)SRW gears 3.92 GVWR 7100 Payload 1840.0
Base Weight 5259.81 (front/rear) 3093.05 2166.76 GAWR 3900 (front/rear) 4100.0 17000
GCWR 17000 Max Tariler Weight Rating 11740

http://www.pacificcoachworks.com/products/panther-toy-hauler-27fsb/

·
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member
3,247 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The Hitch weight is 1008 lbs. dryweight. We dont want a bed that we have to climb over each other to get in/out. we have a 2013 rzor 900 xp 2 seater. right now we have a 3500 lb Geo pro trailer with murphy bed, but its not a toy hauler and razor wont fit in truck bed without buying a $3500 rack system.

·
Registered
937 Posts
Thats a nice travel trailer you picked there, just not a travel/toy hauler trailer
The first link is a toy hauler, the electric bed in the back usually lifts up to the roof to put your toys in.

The second one is just a travel trailer.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yes I posted the toy hauler, I was wondering if my truck would be fine puling it. Its 1008 tongue weight, will having the razor and water in tank lower the toungue weight?

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
60 percent of everything loaded into the trailer should be in front of the trailer axels. This alone will raise your tongue weight. Your dry tongue weight is proportionally correct to the weight of the trailer within the recommended 10-15 percent range. If you load your trailer in such a way as to reduce the tongue weight you risk compromising the towing stability of the trailer. A trailer this heavy a weight distribution hitch is highly recommended.

Keep in mind you don't want to overload the trucks load capacity. You have to figure in the weight of all passengers, tongue weight, weight distribution hitch and anything else carried in the bed or cab of the truck.

·
Registered
301 Posts
Not a towing expert by any means, but from everything I've learned, a weight distribution hitch is a must on really heavy trailers, plus factor all the weight in the vehicle after loading it up with people, puppy dog, coolers, fuel, tools, etc so that you are within the limit. Using a public scale as a sanity check would be a good idea.

Cheers,
Neurobit.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts