DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Let me start off by saying this thread might belong in the interior modification section, but those threads mostly talk about audio & lighting so forgive me if this is the wrong place to post this.

I love the interior of the 2019 Laramie except for one glaring detail that I am not sure I can get past. I am looking to get the black appearance package loaded up with all the goodies, but there is a section of trim that is completely mismatched to the rest of the interior. Its the champagne colored trim that runs along the sides of the center console (where the cup holders are) and up along the outer side of the 12inch DIC on the dash. My question to you, beyond asking the dealership to replace this with the one used on the limited, is there a way to change the color by painting or other? I used "painting" as an example, but I can't image that would turn out well. Anyone have thoughts?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Let me start off by saying this thread might belong in the interior modification section, but those threads mostly talk about audio & lighting so forgive me if this is the wrong place to post this.

I love the interior of the 2019 Laramie except for one glaring detail that I am not sure I can get past. I am looking to get the black appearance package loaded up with all the goodies, but there is a section of trim that is completely mismatched to the rest of the interior. Its the champagne colored trim that runs along the sides of the center console (where the cup holders are) and up along the outer side of the 12inch DIC on the dash. My question to you, beyond asking the dealership to replace this with the one used on the limited, is there a way to change the color by painting or other? I used "painting" as an example, but I can't image that would turn out well. Anyone have thoughts?
You can paint it or have it wrapped in vinyl. I would wrap it over painting it.

Your best option is to replace it with an OEM piece from a Limited trim though.

·
Super Moderator
34,750 Posts
A lot of guys with older trucks (4th gens like mine) have removed dash pieces and painted or vinyl wrapped them. Either to match the truck's paint color, to add carbon fiber accents, or whatever; I plastidipped a chrome trim ring flat black because it would catch the sun's reflection at high noon and blind me.

This isn't a warranty issue, so to get the Limited piece you'll be coming out of pocket, and you'll probably be surprised by how expensive interior trim pieces are. The most difficult part for you will be figuring out how to get the part off without damaging anything; I haven't seen a write up for a 2019 yet

·
Registered
36 Posts
I ordered a Laramie Sport before ever seeing one, and yes the champagne colored trim was unexpected.

I think you'd be surprised at how much success you could have with using plastidip (even the spray can stuff at the hardware store). As above, I had some chrome in my 2011, sprayed it and 6 years later it still looked great. If it didn't it could have been peeled/pressure-washed off.

That said - the champagne trim bothered me for about 3 days. I don't even notice it anymore. I WILL keep an eye out when interior parts become available to see what options there might be, but don't let it be a deal breaker for you. The problem is there's no guarantee the edge-trim will be its own piece - it may be part of much bigger assemblies.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Ya, same here I don’t even notice it. Should have been a different color probably but it doesn’t bother me. What about the gaudy Laramie badge on the glove box or the rear tailgate? I took the tailgate one off. I don’t like the zebra wood on the steering wheel and dash of the limited either.

·
Registered
114 Posts
There were several reasons I ordered a Limited instead of a Laramie. That trim piece was definitely one of them.

·
Registered
85 Posts
That piece of trim almost stopped me from buying my truck, headliner is sort of the same color and I am anal about things like that, it did really bug me, but after a few days I never thought about it until this thread. Thanks a lot, LOL

1 - 8 of 8 Posts