DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have been doing some research on LSD units, and seems the talk about these axles has been somewhat negative. Seems there has been some failures, as well as the recall on the lubrication issue. I've not had my 2011 for a year yet, and so far have not experienced any problems. I don't tow very often, and then it's not much weight. How do these axles hold up under some serious weight on a trailer or in the bed? Assuming that the ZF axle is not the "corporate 9.25" axle that it was several years ago. I tried to do a search of ZF axles, but only found a site for the ZF off-road axles. Is the 1500 the only model the ZF is utilized?:4-dontknow:

·
Registered
15,696 Posts
truth be told, i never thought to ask about the rear axle and would have gotten a 2500 had i known they changed axles.
axles did come under filled from factory, and a recall has been issued. i think it had to do with the placement of the fill hole.
some part is known to come loose and cause the rear to fail, others will be able to explain this shortly with more detail.
i had the recall done and have had 0 problems in 11000 miles. the biggest problem i find is the lack of aftermarket support for the zf axle as no one sure if this axle will continue to be used. my own thoughts are with zf making the trans for dodge they will continue to use zf to supply axles.

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So, the 2500's use a different axle?

Has anyone here heard of or experienced any issues with the ZF axle? By any chance is there a LSD unit available aftermarket for this axle? Just in case, for some reason, I decide to go aftermarket?

·
Registered
70 Posts
The 2500 uses axles by AAM.

The only current option appears the be the RAM ZF LSD, (if you keep your axle assembly and don't swap it out). I would expect that if RAM does not go to another axle type, on the 1500, for the next few years third party options will become available. It will take time though. No third party wants to invest in the develpment time, cost and effort only to have Ram change axles again

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the replies so far. I can understand aftermarket companies not wanting to invest in research to develop a part, just to have that item discontinued. But, if the Ram ZF LSD is available, I wonder why it is not offered as a part on the Mopar eStore?

Yes, huntergreen, I have had the recall done. So, does this mean that I have the ZF axle? Doing some web surfing, it appears that there are 2 axles available for the 2011 1500 Ram, that being the 9.25 and the 10.5. What is this 10.5 axle?

·
Registered
15,696 Posts
Thanks for the replies so far. I can understand aftermarket companies not wanting to invest in research to develop a part, just to have that item discontinued. But, if the Ram ZF LSD is available, I wonder why it is not offered as a part on the Mopar eStore?

Yes, huntergreen, I have had the recall done. So, does this mean that I have the ZF axle? Doing some web surfing, it appears that there are 2 axles available for the 2011 1500 Ram, that being the 9.25 and the 10.5. What is this 10.5 axle?
i did not know there were two axles, hopefully someone will jump in here and tell us. if you had the recall done, pretty sure it is the zf.

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
According to the Yukon Gear and Axle website, there are 2 axles available for the 1500, those being the Chrysler 10.5 (for 2006-2011 Ram 1500's), and the 9.25 ZF axle (for 2011 and up 1500's).

·
Registered
194 Posts
Doesn't Eaton have LSD units for the 4th gens? I think the Truetrac works.

And yes, my build list calls it the "corporate" axle:

DRBS Corporate 9.25 LD Rear Axle

·
Registered
235 Posts
Doesn't Eaton have LSD units for the 4th gens? I think the Truetrac works.

And yes, my build list calls it the "corporate" axle:

DRBS Corporate 9.25 LD Rear Axle

Yes it does work on the 4th gens. But only on 2009 and 2010 4th gens.

Here's the code for the 2011 axle, from my built sheet.
DRNS 245MM REAR AXLE

·
Registered
70 Posts
If Yukon lists a 10.5 for a 1500 it's a mistake. The 10.5 is an AAM axle only found on the 2500. The 2011/2012 uses the 9.25 ZF. One of the brilliant changes made to the ZF, said to reduce weight, was to weld the ring gear to the carrier. This is one issue that is causing the aftermarket to make changes to their product offerings. Likely there are other ZF design changes affecting aftermarket product availability as well

BTW - IF there ever was a 1500 with the 10.5 axle you would have absolutely no problem spotting it. And, a 10.5 ring gear would never fit the 9.25 ZF housing

·
Banned
1,739 Posts
If Yukon lists a 10.5 for a 1500 it's a mistake. The 10.5 is an AAM axle only found on the 2500. The 2011/2012 uses the 9.25 ZF. One of the brilliant changes made to the ZF, said to reduce weight, was to weld the ring gear to the carrier. This is one issue that is causing the aftermarket to make changes to their product offerings. Likely there are other ZF design changes affecting aftermarket product availability as well

BTW - IF there ever was a 1500 with the 10.5 axle you would have absolutely no problem spotting it. And, a 10.5 ring gear would never fit the 9.25 ZF housing
I dont know who told you the ring gear was welded to the carrier, but that's definitely false information. The ring gear is bolted to the carrier but the bolt pattern is changed. Not sure of all the other changes, but the new carrier is really whats messing with the aftermarket line. However, G2 has had gears out for some time now.

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
If you check Yukon's website, you will see it for yourself. I thought it was a mistake also, and double and triple checked what I was seeing. As far as I knew, the ZF 9.25 was the only axle in the 1500's. But, I figured Yukon knew their business, and I'm far from being an expert.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Did the MegaCab 1500 came with the 10.5 rear axle? Maybe that's why it's in the listing for 1500 model.

·
Premium Member
32,782 Posts
Isn't the Mega Cab truly a 2500, even though it is called a 1500

Things are sort of getting confusing when it comes to the rear differentials
i believe the 2009 & 2010 1500s, were made by AAM for Chrysler/Dodge/Ram/Jeep & they stopped production in June of 2010
The ZF 9.25 rear ends started production in July 2010 for the 2011 models, the fill plug was too low & it was located on the front of the pumpkin, the Recall was done & the Final fix was to put the fill plug back in the cover (& to put a sort of wiper or something on a part that was either getting too much oil, or not enough, i never did understand that part).

=====================================================
In just a couple of days, i think on the 8th, at the Chicago Auto Show. A new Ram Tradesman will be unveiled, it will be a 1500 model with rear leaf springs. Don't be too surprised if they also start showing a de-badged Laramie, with sort of plain stitching

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I believe the Megacab is no longer offered in the 1500, just the crew cab. Can't speak for the other models, though.

So, the problem was too little oil capacity in the diff? Gees, I would think they would have done some R&D with that axle before it was put into production.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts