DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Help Zone - Dodge Ram Problems, Complaints, & Solutions - Maintenance & Re > Dodge Ram Knowledge Base

Notices

Dodge Ram Knowledge Base Here you can find owner submitted how-to's for performing various mods to your Dodge Ram!

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 09-24-2013, 06:20 PM
Join the Dark Ram Side!

Vehicle: 2013 Ram 1500 Quad Cab 4x4
Trim Level: Sport
Color: Black
Engine: 2013-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 395hp 410lb/ft
Rep:1520
DarthRam has a brilliant futureDarthRam has a brilliant futureDarthRam has a brilliant futureDarthRam has a brilliant futureDarthRam has a brilliant futureDarthRam has a brilliant futureDarthRam has a brilliant futureDarthRam has a brilliant futureDarthRam has a brilliant futureDarthRam has a brilliant futureDarthRam has a brilliant future
Default How To: Dee Zee Tailgate Assist nutsert removal and delete.

This was driving me nuts. No pun intended. So I did it. I went to the other guys forum. It was horrible! There were blue ovals everywhere! My eyes hurt and I feel dirty. My God they all talk about their trucks like they are RAMS! I hope you all appreciate what I did for you...all.

Oh, these are all my pics when I did it today so don't worry about any silly old copyrights etc.

You will need the original black Allen head bolt (Or one that has the same thread pattern and length) that came with the kit and a BFH. Of course BFH stands for Big F@*#ing Hammer.

Thread the bolt in the nutsert. Make sure all of the nutsert threads are on the bolt.

Grab the BFH and hit the nut straight on driving it in to the tailgate. Be careful to not hit the tailgate. As the bolt goes in it will stretch out the nutsert allowing it to be pulled out. There should only be about 1/3 to 1/4 of the threads showing. This should be your final product:

This next part I have to admit I didn't get done 100%. I was 99% done and dropped the nut and washer down on to the street and watched it roll in to a drain. I know it will work because I got real, real close.

Again, you will need some of the original parts from the kit and some others. The black nut that you tighten to install the nutsert is perfect but again as long as it fits you are good. You will also need two washers. First thing you need to do is place one washer on the tailgate ball mount. Hand tighten the black (Or whatever one you use) nut down so it is flush against the washer. Next use some hot glue or household cement and glue the nut to the washer. Be careful nut to get any on the threads. You will be unscrewing the washer/nut from the ball mount after the glue sets. The ball mount is only a guide here to make sure the hole on the washer and nut line up for later.

While the glue is drying you will need to construct a tool using a 10mm box wrench, zip ties and a length of flat anything. I used an adjustable wrench. Just make sure the total length does not exceed 3/4 the width of the tailgate. You will be maneuvering this tool in the open tailgate.

After making sure the glue is dry. Place the washer/nut in the end of the wrench. Make sure the angled part is away from the nut. This will help in placing the nut later. Use some tape to tape this to the end of the wrench. Do not use to much because you will need to break this off later.

[

If you do tape over the hole simply puncture it so the ball mount can be inserted later. Now take the ball mount and place the other washer over it. Put thread lock on the threads.

Now the tricky part. Remove the access hatch on the tailgate. Feed the wrench with the washer/net on the end in to the inside of the gate. Take your time. Do not hit the washer/nut on the side as it might fall off. Line the tool up with the far left slot against the tailgate. Now carefully insert it in the slot. This is a tight spot and not very welcoming for guys like me with big hands. Line up the nut with the hole that the nutsert came out of. Thread the ball mount in and tighten by hand. Then use a socket to tighten against the wrench in the tailgate.

Where did I go wrong you ask? Well I went to Home Depot to get new nuts and a new cheap box wrench. I figured if I was going to lose a wrench in my tailgate it was going to be a cheap one. I don't know if I just grabbed the wrong size or what but I grabbed an 11mm not a 10mm so when I pulled it out of the tailgate after taking the last pic to grab the ball mount I hit the side of my truck and the nut fell on the ground and rolled in to the drain. I sat there thinking "No, way did that just happen." I had another hardware kit from Dee Zee as a backup and just put a new nutsert in. If this one comes off I will do this for sure. I figured I would share now though.
Magnaflow 14" Custom Install Bilstein 5100s Front Only Set at 2.8" Vararam Air Grabber Cravenspeed Stubby Antenna Dee Zee Tailgate Assist Billet Technology "The Punisher" Shift Knob Debadged doors and tailgate Plasti Dipped Grille Inserts The Punisher Grille and Tailgate Badges Exterior Chrome Delete 20" XD Series 795 Hoss LT305/55R20 Nitto Trail Grappler M/T Cabin Air Filter BAKFlip Roll-X Tonneau Cover

Last edited by DarthRam; 09-24-2013 at 06:58 PM.
Sponsored links
Old 09-29-2013, 02:48 AM
God Bless Texas!

Vehicle: 2005 Ram 1500
Trim Level: Lonestar QC
Color: White
Engine: 2002-2007 287ci (4.7L) PowerTech V8 235hp 295lb/ft
Rep:2918
RogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond repute

Nice right up, Dood! Did you ever think about moving away from the drain? Or, lets say, covering it up?
Old 09-29-2013, 10:41 PM
Join the Dark Ram Side!

DarthRam has a brilliant futureDarthRam has a brilliant futureDarthRam has a brilliant futureDarthRam has a brilliant futureDarthRam has a brilliant futureDarthRam has a brilliant futureDarthRam has a brilliant futureDarthRam has a brilliant futureDarthRam has a brilliant futureDarthRam has a brilliant futureDarthRam has a brilliant future

I didn't even think of the drain. It is way to big to cover anyway. Size of a manhole cover.
Magnaflow 14" Custom Install Bilstein 5100s Front Only Set at 2.8" Vararam Air Grabber Cravenspeed Stubby Antenna Dee Zee Tailgate Assist Billet Technology "The Punisher" Shift Knob Debadged doors and tailgate Plasti Dipped Grille Inserts The Punisher Grille and Tailgate Badges Exterior Chrome Delete 20" XD Series 795 Hoss LT305/55R20 Nitto Trail Grappler M/T Cabin Air Filter BAKFlip Roll-X Tonneau Cover
Old 09-29-2013, 10:44 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2012 Dodge Ram 1500
Trim Level: Sport Crew
Color: True Blue Pearl
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:1054
LowUFO has much to be proud ofLowUFO has much to be proud ofLowUFO has much to be proud ofLowUFO has much to be proud ofLowUFO has much to be proud ofLowUFO has much to be proud ofLowUFO has much to be proud ofLowUFO has much to be proud of

I might have to do this if I want to use my tailgate assist. ****ing thing blew apart when I opened the tailgate the other day. Tailgate slammed down. Not sure exactly what happened but I ended up w the tailgate ballmount on the ground bent to shit, and the DeeZee strut just hanging from the other ballmount at the top. I almost launched it across the road I was so pissed.
Old 10-15-2013, 01:06 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2011 Dodge Ram 1500 Sport
Trim Level: Sport Quad Cab
Color: Deep Ocean/ Water Blue
Rep:65
MrGoodbar will become famous soon enough

those of you with this....hows it holding up?
Is it worth it?

any issues?

Did dodge ever have these from the factory?
Old 10-15-2013, 10:06 AM
God Bless Texas!

RogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrGoodbar View Post
those of you with this....hows it holding up?
Is it worth it?

any issues?

Did dodge ever have these from the factory?
Definitely worth it. Mine is holding up great. Had it on for 9 months now, and it's still impresses me every time I drop my tail gate.
Old 10-15-2013, 01:00 PM
Join the Dark Ram Side!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerRamJet View Post
Definitely worth it. Mine is holding up great. Had it on for 9 months now, and it's still impresses me every time I drop my tail gate.
Roger does yours "kick in" right away or does the tailgate drop 1/3 of it's travel arc and then kick in? Mine drops about 1/3 and then the assist kicks in. I have contacted Dee Zee twice and they have told me both times this is normal.

However, brandonjansen posted a vid of his and it drops smoothly from the beginning.
Old 10-15-2013, 01:39 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2012 RAM 1500
Trim Level: Big Horn
Rep:294
SoCal Ram is a jewel in the roughSoCal Ram is a jewel in the roughSoCal Ram is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by LowUFO View Post
I might have to do this if I want to use my tailgate assist. ****ing thing blew apart when I opened the tailgate the other day. Tailgate slammed down. Not sure exactly what happened but I ended up w the tailgate ballmount on the ground bent to shit, and the DeeZee strut just hanging from the other ballmount at the top. I almost launched it across the road I was so pissed.
To be quite honest, mine came apart just like this. I called DeeZee and a whole replacement kit was sent to me. That's really good customer service BUT, my new ball mount (on the tailgate) is bending just like the one that came out all bent. Seems to be an ongoing issue. Here's a couple photos of the bent ball mount and the hanging DeeZee shock/strut just hanging there. Also on of the new mount still installed bending though:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Bent-Ball-Mount.jpg (23.2 KB, 17 views)
File Type: jpg Hanging.jpg (17.8 KB, 22 views)
File Type: jpg New-Bent-Ballmount.jpg (12.3 KB, 23 views)
Old 10-15-2013, 06:56 PM
God Bless Texas!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthRam View Post
Roger does yours "kick in" right away or does the tailgate drop 1/3 of it's travel arc and then kick in? Mine drops about 1/3 and then the assist kicks in. I have contacted Dee Zee twice and they have told me both times this is normal.

However, brandonjansen posted a vid of his and it drops smoothly from the beginning.
Mine kicks in from the start. Smooth all the way down.
Old 10-15-2013, 08:43 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2012 Dodge Ram 1500
Trim Level: Sport Crew
Color: True Blue Pearl
Rep:1054
LowUFO has much to be proud ofLowUFO has much to be proud ofLowUFO has much to be proud ofLowUFO has much to be proud ofLowUFO has much to be proud ofLowUFO has much to be proud ofLowUFO has much to be proud ofLowUFO has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCal Ram View Post
To be quite honest, mine came apart just like this. I called DeeZee and a whole replacement kit was sent to me. That's really good customer service BUT, my new ball mount (on the tailgate) is bending just like the one that came out all bent. Seems to be an ongoing issue. Here's a couple photos of the bent ball mount and the hanging DeeZee shock/strut just hanging there. Also on of the new mount still installed bending though:
Yeah mine was the same. Not bothering w it again. I don't trust it anymore.