DODGE RAM FORUM banner

21 - 32 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Mechanic just put iridium platinum in my 2013 Hemi. Do I need to be worried about my coil packs?
Platinum and Iridium plugs perform at a lower level than copper spark plugs, because they are less conductive and they tend to overheat. However, the overall longevity of these two types of metal is better than copper plugs.Platinum has good longevity and the worst performance. Iridium has good longevity and a decent performance, but the Bosch FGR8DQI Platinum IR Fusion spark plug might be the best platinum iridium spark plug, but you may face problems with durability if you don’t install it the way the Bosch website indicates.

·
Registered
7 Posts
As Thunder said, just keep an eye on it. But there is no such thing as "iridium platinum," its either one or the other. I don't recall ever seeing a combination plug. Iridiums conduct a bit better than platinum, so iridiums might be OK. If he used platinums, I bet you'll get misfire codes (or some sort of check engine light) sooner or later.

With our trucks being so computerized these days, and components being so specific with tolerances, its best to stick with the same type of plugs it came with from the factory. Autolite, NGK, Champion, etc. all make decent copper plugs.

Also, as others have said, if you push platinums on a 2013 or earlier, you may have problems with your coil packs later too.
Iridium plugs are the best, of course. But there is an Iridium platinum combination plugs, they might not widespread though because as much as I know they are not that good, they have low conductivity and tend to overheat. Anyway they might be better than copper plugs, the only good platinum Iridium spark plug I heard of is the Bosch FGR8DQI Platinum IR Fusion spark plug, but only if it was installed according to the instructions in Bosch's website.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I put Autolite APP5325, double platinums. The parts place didn't have NGKs and these had a rebate. I have p0300, p0301, and p0306 on my dash and I think the spark plugs are the culprit.

What is everyone elses experiences with what plugs?
2010 Dodge Ram 1500 Hemi crew cab 4x4 short bed.
I'm not sure, but I think modern Hemi engines don't have a waste spark system (which is essential for the double platinum spark plugs to work properly), personally I have Denso Iridium TT spark plugs, a bit expensive but worth it. Work just fine.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Is it ok to run Platinum or iridium plugs in a 2013 5.7 Hemi, RAM 1500 4x4? Hate to have to change copper plugs every 30,000 mi.
I think it's best to have Iridium (though they might be a bit expensive, but they last for 100,000 miles, which I think is a good deal) , I myself have Iridium spark plugs in my ram and it runs without problems, you can check this link if you want to know more:
These is some good spark plugs here too:

·
Registered
7 Posts
OEM regardless of vehicle brand.
but there might be better parts that are not OEM, you just need to be either extra sure of one or be able to take the risk of trying one that you're not so sure of, but mainly sticking with the OEM parts might be better for many people.

·
Registered
2 Posts

·
Registered
415 Posts
Hi guys

I did some research, added my experience as a auto mechanic and wrote an article about best spark plugs for Hemi RAM
here it is: 🥇7 Best spark plugs for 5.7 Dodge Ram Hemi - HONEST Buying Guide [2020]

I recommend NGK 5464 BKR5EIX 11 Iridium spark plug
it's a bit pricey, but more durable than others

If you have any questions, appreciations, critics — you are welcome. Answer to this post or write in private messages
Thanks for your experience.
From what I know (mechanical engineer in power train biz, retired), iridium's purpose is to promote longer electrode life. However, this occurs at the expense of spark quality, as iridium is less electrically conductive than platinum or nickel. I don't see any advantage with iridium - you get a lesser spark at a higher price, risking difficulty in replacement from leaving the steel threaded spark plug in the aluminum threaded cylinder head longer. See NGK site for spark quality comparisons.

I believe platinum remains the best compromise choice in plated spark plug electrodes, and NGK as the highest quality producer. Many other manufacturers have off-shored and out-sourced their manufacturing with notable reductions in quality. Unless you really, really like changing 16 spark plugs every 30,000 miles, where nickel-coated copper is still the lowest electrical resistance and best spark quality choice. But these plugs must be changed every 30k miles because the highly-conductive electrodes transfer metal much faster than the precious metal-coated electrodes.

Bonus Note: NGK is pushing a new precious metal-coated electrode - ruthenium. The claim is you get near nickel/copper-like high electrical conductivity together with the long life of iridium. It just costs a lot more money. x 16.

·
Registered
52 Posts
I have a 2013 1500 5.7L, build date 11/12. No MDS, w/ 6-Speed. I pulled a coil pack and here are the numbers on it:

56029129AF & A12X1208143

I believe these are the correct coils for Platinum, Iridium, or the new Ruthenium. Has anyone used the new Ruthenium plugs?

·
Registered
415 Posts
Not sure why anyone would pay for ruthenium plugs in an aluminum cylinder head. Unless you're never changing spark plugs ever, getting rid of the vehicle before 150,000 miles, etc.

You can tell if you have the higher energy coils simply by seeing if you have the old waste spark jumper wire rather than dual plug boots on the coil. The Owner's Manual will also tell you - if it says to change plugs every 30,000 miles, you have the original low energy coils. If it says to change every 100,000 miles, you have the newer high energy coils.

·
Registered
415 Posts
The coil packs are ALL THE SAME ACCORDING TO EVERY PARTS LOOK UP FROM 2006 and up. One part number....
Then why did my 2012 5.7L HEMI mandate copper electrode-only spark plugs and 30,000 mile minimum changes?

The online tech help explained per my notes above. Including that they hadn't upgraded coil packs. Now, some places revise part numbers instead of taking out new part numbers, which is dangerous from inventory control purposes. I know this for a fact because I worked at one such OEM that always struggled with this being cheap.

21 - 32 of 32 Posts